Tuesday, January 24

The Writing Group Meets

I have taken many writing courses in college, all of which contained a workshop element. After completing all of those courses, my writing stalled. I decided that in order to continue writing and fulfilling my dream of one day publishing, I had to have motivation. Homework has been my motivation for my whole life. Without it, I have found I have a hard time getting anything done. Due dates are necessary for my creativity to abound. 


I decided to find a writer's group where I could have goals and accountability on accomplishing those goals. 


Last Wednesday was my first meeting. And I really enjoyed it. It was fun, and fulfilling. The people I met there were very diverse, and it was refreshing not to be surrounded by a room full of English Majors for once. I shared some of my poetry, and they really seemed to enjoy it! I am looking forward to going back and also finding that motivation I need to work harder on my writing. 


Hopefully in the next few months during my internship I can really crank out a novel and start seriously looking at publishing it! 

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find a group in the suburbs? I am not that far from you - in the Willowbrook/Burr Ridge area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a website called Meetup.com that allows people to form groups and set up meetings. I went on there and found one that met near me! It's been good so far, it meets every other week and I'm liking most of the people in the group.

    ReplyDelete